Tenants FAQ


What is referencing?

Referencing involves checking your suitability to rent a property. You will need to provide details of your employer, a previous landlord who can verify suitability (if applicable) and checks will be run with a credit referencing agency. Your right to live and work in the UK with be confirmed, and ID will be gathered. If there are any credit issues or other issues which may influence the referencing procedure, it’s best to tell us straight away.


Why is a guarantor needed?

If a landlord is not satisfied that your earnings are enough to cover the rent, or if there are previous credit issues, a landlord may ask for a guarantor. Your guarantor must be someone who lives in England/Wales and can cover your rental commitment should you not be able to. Referencing checks will be carried out on this person also.


Why do you need to pay a Tenancy Deposit?

Your deposit is required to protect the property against any damage caused during the tenancy. Only cleaning and damage which goes above normal wear and tear can be charged for, and an assessment will be carried out the end of the tenancy. The deposit can also be held against non-payment of rent.


Where will the deposit be held?

It is a legal obligation to hold all deposits in a government-back Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme. We will be able to provide details of where your deposit is being held.


What is a tenancy agreement?

A tenancy agreement is a legal document which lays out the specific terms and conditions of the tenancy. This is designed to protect both tenant and landlord. Bespoke tenancy agreements can be drawn up to include any specific circumstances agreed upon by both parties.


What happens if repairs are needed?

If there is an issue which needs fixing, you can contact Jacobs Steel. We will then inform your landlord, and if necessary arrange something with one of our trusted tradesmen. If the damage is caused by yourself, you may be liable to cover the cost of the repair.


Is the landlord allowed to enter the property?

Except for an emergency, the landlord and their managing agent must give enough notice should they wish to enter the property.


What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Tenants are required to comply with all terms outlined in the tenancy agreement which has been signed. The most common duties are paying rent and household bills on time, report damage and keep the property clean.


Are tenants responsible for insurance?

A contents insurance policy must be purchased to the value of the possessions you are bringing in to the property. Specialist insurance covers both your own possessions, and any accidental damaged caused by you to the landlords’ possessions; this is the recommended insurance policy.


Could the landlord decide to increase the rent?

If the landlord would like to increase the rent, they will need to enter a period of negotiations with you; this will be mediated by Jacobs Steel, until an outcome has been agreed upon.


Can I extend my lease?

After the initial fixed term has ended, it is usually possible to renew the lease, so you can continue to live there. You should begin to discuss this towards the final few months of the initial term.


What happens if I want to move out?

There will be a set period of notice in the tenancy agreement, which you will need to serve before moving out.


When will the tenancy deposit be returned?

When you have decided you would like to move out, a check out service and examination of the inventory will be carried out. The results will be reported to both tenant and landlord, and the deposit returned (minus any deductions if necessary).

IE8 Alert! Cookie Alert!

To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a modern web browser. More info